Date:      Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:09:35 -0400
From:      "Mark Bucciarelli" <mark@gaiahost.coop>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Managing updates in jails

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 06:29:42PM +0200, Ruben Bloemgarten wrote:
> What I find a lot easier is to use freebsd-update for the base system
> updates and, after having mount_nullfs'd /usr/ports from the host system
> onto the jailed systems, portsnap and portupgrade.
> -> host system : freebsd-update/portsnap/portupgrade
>    Jailed system : freebsd-update/portupgrade

Thanks Ruben.

I have a couple follow-up questions.

(1) When do you run cvsup?

    I don't understand the relationship between cvsup and portupgrade.  As I
    understand things, portupgrade fetches the latest tarball of the given
    port.   If this is indeed the case, why does the portupgrade man page have
    a tip that says be sure to run portsdb -Uu everytime you cvsup?   This tip
    suggests that you should run cvsup as part of the portupgrade routine.

(2) What value do you use for the base parameter in your cvsup file?

    Should these bookkeeping files be shared between the jail and the
    mothership?

Thanks,