Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        moncrg@ma.ultranet.com
Cc:        Marc Giannoni <marc@versa.eng.comsat.com>, "freebsd-net@"@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NETCCITT sources

<<On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:35:21 -0500, "Gregory D. Moncreaff" <moncrg@ma.ultranet.com> said:

> you'd think that it wouldn't be a big issue
> since Net/Open BSDs still have it

They also have VAX support, which is another thing we don't consider
to be worth the effort.

> Of course by dropping it FreeBSD is losing
> some of its heritage...

Not really.  OSI was something that was kluged in by Berkeley fairly
late in the game, when people still thought it might actually be used
by somebody.  XNS is far closer to being BSD heritage (since it was
the original proof-of-concept that the socket framework was capable of
supporting multiple protocols), and only one cranky ISV complained
about its loss.

> I'd really prefer to stick with FreeBSD
> but might be forced to consider Net/Open...

Don't think we consider this threatening.  There are some things they
are able to support that we don't want to -- such is life.  We have no
desire to see anyone unhappy; if you have an application for which
their codebase is a better match than ours, by all means, use it!

-GAWollman