Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 01:00:17 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot kernel panic with the latest new-bus

Jose Gabriel Marcelino wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting kernel panics during boot with the latest
> kernel built today using new-bus.
> This broke both my custom kernel and today's GENERIC (with all the needed
> updates) on my machine. Booting with the old kernel works fine.
>
> From what I can see (and copied from paper) this is what happens:
[..]
> ncr0: <ncr 53c810 fast10 scsi> at device 11.0 on pci0
> ncr0: interrupting at irq 10

> fault virtual address = 0x4
> fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc01f3ac1
[..]

This sounds a bit like it might be fixed by Bruce:
RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/i386/isa/isa_compat.c,v
revision 1.2
date: 1999/04/17 09:56:35;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
Allocate space for struct isa_device's, not for pointers thereto.
This fixes memory corruption that caused calls to address 0 here.

Can you check if you have this update?

Cheers,
-Peter