Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 15:09:05 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Jason Cave <macgawd@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp

Jason Cave wrote:
> When I do dhclient rl0, and it doesnt give an on screen error it just
> sets the ip to 0.0.0.0.  Other times it spouts alot of text with this
> line at the top.  Feb  5 22:17:52 c68 dhclient: Can't bind to dhcp
> address: Address already in use.

This means there is already a dhclient running.  (you can't run it twice
on the same network card).  That particular error is probably a result
of your experimenting, and is probably not the cause of your problem.

Please send your configuration information.  Attach /etc/rc.conf to your
next email, as well as the output of 'ifconfig -a' (while the machine is
plugged in and having trouble)

Please look in /var/log/messages for any dhclient errors.  Actually, do
this:
grep 'dhclient' /var/log/messages > /some/file
and attach /some/file to the next email (along with the other requested
output).

> My isp says its not a problem with
> their system.

I'll bet they're correct.

> Nor is there any settings to stop the machine from using
> the dhcp server.

What do you mean by this?  That the ISP won't change or that FreeBSD won't?
The latter is definately untrue, FreeBSD can be configured to use or not
use DHCP as you desire.

> Thank you for all the assistance so far.

Hope we get this figured out for you.

> Jason Cave
> macgawd@hotmail.com
>

>> From: Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
>> To: Jason Cave <macgawd@hotmail.com>
>> CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: dhcp
>> Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:31:34 -0500
>>
>> Jason Cave wrote:
>>
>>> When I do dhclient it just sets the ip to 0.0.0.0.  I know it sets it
>>> to this as it couldnt find the dhcp server.
>>

>> How do you know that the cause of the failure is that it can't find the
>> server?  Do you get an error message?  What does it say?
>>
>>> Is there a way to have it look at a specific ip for the dhcp server?
>>

>> Not that I know of.
>>
>> Are you using the same NIC as when it worked?  Many ISPs require you to
>> register a MAC address before they will assign an IP.
>>
>> Is there any information in /var/log/messages about the failure?
>>
>>> It use to work with versions 4.5 and 4.6.  I am unable to locate
>>> either of these older versions on the network.  Anyone know where to
>>> get this the older versions?
>>

>> Behaviour has not changed in 4.7, to my knowledge.  My machine here
>> has been
>> 4.6 and is now 4.7 and still works fine as a dhclient.
>>
>> You should still be able to download 4.6.2 isos from the ftp sites.
>> And if
>> you want to go back further, you can use cvsup to "downgrade" a 4.7
>> system.
>> (just use a RELENG_4_5 tag)
>>
>>> All replies are appreciated.
>>

>> Hope this is helpful.
>>
>>> Jason Cave
>>> macgawd@hotmail.com

>>> STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*
>>> http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
>>>

>> --
>> Bill Moran
>> Potential Technologies