Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 11:42:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject:   Re: Another idea about my sound card (perhaps Plug&Play is the problem?)

Hello!

On Wed, 24 May 1995, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> I just had a thought about my MediaMagic ISP-16 sound card.
>
> If you recall, I mentioned it last month - the fact that I can run
> a DOS initialization program and it looks like a Sound Blaster Pro 3.2
> to FreeBSD, and works like one as well.
>
> Now - on to my idea.
>
>   First, this card was manufactured in 1994.
>
>   Second, it claims to be "Plug and Play" compatible.

	When u say plug and play, i think PCI. Is this a pci soundcard?
The fact that it configures via a software init is typical of most
soundcards these days. This certainly would not im0ply that they are all PCI

	if i am not mistaken. Plug and Play implies that if the system
BIOS is plug and play aware, it will then recognize the existence of the
Plug and Play card with out any additional interaction on your part. The
Plug and Play comaptible reference may be a disingenious marketing ploy
on their part as in "sure! it is plug and play compatible! if u put this
in a plug and play aware system, then it wont screw it up!" :-)

>   Third; I'm not using the default IRQ of 7 for the sound card, I moved it
>  to 5.  There are no jumpers on the card; the way you configure a different
>  interrupt is to run the initialization software.
>
> So - I was thinking - perhaps if I switch to the interruptless printer
> driver, and move the sound card IRQ back to 7 - the initial default on the
> card would allow it to operate.
>
> I haven't tried this out - but I was still curious - what do you think?
>
> If this is the case with this "Plug and Play" device, what are we to
> do with other "Plug and Play" cards in the future, which will similar
> not have jumpers, but instead be informed of their IRQ, etc...   Does
> any have an idea of how to negotiate an IRQ with a "Plug and Play"
> card?
>
> 	- Dave Rivers -

 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life