Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:58:52 -0600
From:      Adam Fabian <afabian@austin.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: Running commands at startup

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 12:04:14PM +0000, Danny Browne wrote:

> This will probobly seem like such a basic question, but where can do i
> put commands i want to run at startup.
>
> freeBSD 4.10
>
> i want to run (for example)
>
> alias 'ls=ls -G' alias 'vi=vim' alias 'shutdown=shutdown -h now'
> etc...

This is typically a function of your shell, unless you want to do it
on a system-wide basis.  (A little while ago, I was trying to figure
out how to change the environment that processes inheirit from init on
FreeBSD but didn't have much luck.)  csh and derivatives tend to use
.login and .cshrc, sh and derivatives tend to use .profile and .shrc.

> Also, i am running fluxbox, but my mouse is very slow when it starts
> up. at the moment i have to enter xset m 5/1 in the terminal to speed it
> up. How can i get fluxbox do do this at startup?

Put the command in your .xinitrc if you're using a display manager,
and your .Xsession (I think) if you're not.  (It will be X that
executes the command, not fluxbox.)

--
Adam Fabian (afabian@austin.rr.com)