Date:      Mon, 05 May 1997 14:36:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, nadav@barcode.co.il, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/include/ftpio.h is not C++ safe

> How can libftpio be used by code which must be compiled -traditional,
> without __P()?

And why would you want to compile libftpio with -traditional?
I read the paragraph where you say:

	In addition, there are cases where old code must be compiled with
	the -traditional flag (I think this is what Bruce was meaning here)
	because of existing calling conventions in the code, and the lack
	of a prototype in scope at the time of inter-object calling in the
	old code itself.

And I still don't see where this is applicable in this case at all.

> You need a decent programming editor which can fold things like __P()
> out so that they can still be there, yet your sensitive eyes are
> protected from seeing them.

Actually, a folding editor which collapsed according to the
pre-processor rules would be damn useful (here is the list of #defined
symbols and their values, now go act like a cpp in creating the
folds).  Emacs has a mode like this but it doesn't really work, nor
does it produce proper folds.

> Maybe there's a port of the "peril sensitive editor" for FreeBSD?  8-).

If there was one, most of the code you looked at would simply be
represented by whitespace (in the modeline: "Trust me, you don't want
to see this.").

						Jordan