Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:18:11 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Neil Doody <neil.doody@interserveis.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SLow down or do in chunks "makeworld"

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 12:52:33PM -0000, Neil Doody wrote:
> Firstly appologies for my repeat post, the first one didn't go through
> after 24 hours I sent it again, but it was stuck in a que.
>=20
> Now my problem, im having the problem of signal 12's when running a make
> world.

Are you sure it's signal 12?  This is "illegal system call" which
usually means you have accidentally upgraded your userland to
5.0-CURRENT.

If you actually meant signal 11, this is likely to be failing hardware
(RAM, CPU cooling, etc) and you should read the FAQ entry on this
subject.

> Is there anyway to make perhaps run slower, because im told its when a
> lot of write activity is going on the hdd.

This is unlikely either way.  If you have failing hardware you need to
identify and replace it, because it's not going to get better, and it
will continue to cause you lots of problems.

Kris
--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms--