Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:11:43 -0600
From:      "John Nielsen" <hackers@jnielsen.net>
To:        "Evan Dower" <evantd@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I Volunteer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Evan Dower" <evantd@hotmail.com>
To: <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:35 PM
Subject: I Volunteer

> I don't know who might have use of my services (or what my services might
be
> for that matter), but I hereby offer them up. I'm a student at the
> University of Washington and I'll be applying to the Computer Science
major
> in February. I'd like to get involved with the OS that is serving me so
> well. I'll do what I can to help with whatever. Just let me know if anyone
> needs a minion. I could use the experience.

Probably the best thing you can do for the project is to show some
initiative.  The problem reports database (accessible over the web at
 http://www.freebsd.org/prstats/index.html) can always use a good
looking-over.  Some reports are outdated and just need to be closed; some
have a working patch included but have fallen through the cracks; and
depending on your interests and level of coding ability, some could be
relatively easy to fix.  Do some work, make some noise, and express your
interests and then whoever wants you as a minion will be more likely to find
you.

Whether or not coding is your forte, you can support the project in other
ways as well.  FreeBSD has great documentation, but it can always be
improved or added to.  I tend to proofread everything I read, so I've sent
in a couple "bug" reports about manpage typos.  I've been pleasantly
surprised at both the promptness with which they were addressed and the
gratitude expressed for my filing the reports.

Evangelism and peer support are other great things you can do.  Educate
people at your school about FreeBSD and suggest ways that using FreeBSD
might improve a lab/program/service.  Answer questions on the -questions
mailing list and/or the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc newsgroup.  FreeBSD is a
great platform with an even greater user/developer community, so letting
people know about it is always a good thing.

Just a few ideas from my own experience... :)

JN