Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:01:53 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Byte counters reset at ~4GB

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 06:38:28PM -0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> It seems that the byte counters (derived from netstat -nbi) reset at
> around 4 GB. Is there no way around this? It would be nice to be able to
> see an accurate display of totals. It just seems pointless to even have
> this, as 4 GB is just not that much anymore. I know this is a 32bit
> limitation of the variable, but that's just bad coding in my opinion (no
> offence intended), I mean there must be some way around this.
>=20
> Thank You.

There is now: pf comes with 64bit statistic counters. For now you can put
them on one interface only, but in future version there will be more
flexible statistics. Additionally there are many accounting programs out
there which utilize various existing (32bit) counters or the [i]pf[w]
interfaces: sysutils/ipa or net-mgmt/ipacctd to name just two off the top of
my head.

--=20
Best regards,				| mlaier@freebsd.org
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661