Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:55:11 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

On Wednesday, 28 October 1998 at 16:39:01 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> Jason C. Wells wrote:
>> When I say the process of "Works with" should be transparent I mean that
>> any software should be as easy to install as a FreeBSD port. The Linux
>> Netscape port is a prime example. The Linux Netscape is as easy to install
>> as any native software. This requires no development of a giant
>> infrastructure.
>
> Greg Lehey replied:
>> This is where we're beginning to diverge.  I don't want to exclude
>> *anything* which can be got to work with FreeBSD, even if it's
>> difficult.  That's why I said "at least two" categories in an earlier
>> message.  You could consider differentiating again between
>> (e.g. Linux) software which has FreeBSD installation support and that
>> which doesn't.  StarOffice on CD is probably not easy to install on
>> FreeBSD; it's the port that does that.  If a port exists, and the
>> manufacturer distributes the package on his CD-ROM, then we should
>> give him extra credit for that, even if it's not a native FreeBSD
>> port.
>
> And I don't want to hold up the logo even for someone to write a port,
> but I realize this could be important, so I'm willing to go along with
> what appears to be consensus on this point.

Not from me.  I agree.  You don't need a port, it must just be
possible to have the assurance that if you buy this application in a
shop and take it home, you'll be able to get it working with FreeBSD.
Maybe not easily, but if you expend enough effort it won't become
shelfware.  On the other hand, because some of these could be painful,
I'd like to have a different text on the certification sticker.

> This does give us a pretty good definition of what qualifies as "Works
> with FreeBSD," too: if a port kit can be created that will install the
> software and make it work on FreeBSD, it qualifies for the logo.  I
> guess the hardware analogy would be "a working FreeBSD device driver
> exists for this hardware."

...and is supplied with the hardware.
...and you'll have to find it yourself.

Greg