Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:58:17 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        jamie@itribe.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP PCI modem

At 07:54 PM 1/5/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> > So, does this mean motherboards with a decent number of PCI slots will
>> > start appearing?
>>
>> I wouldn't count on it - I think it's more likely that you'll see more
>> USB equipment.
>>
>> AFAIK it's rather difficult electrically to have more than five slots in
>> one PCI bus. Thus if you need more, you'll need a system with more than
>> one system bus to PCI bridge. Thus higher cost, lower volume.
>
>This is a current issue, and is related to the chipset.
>
>Apple has a good PCI chipset, as does DEC; I believe both support
>6 slots without a bridge because they have seperate lines for 6
>slots.  The Intel chips tend to have only 4 lines; some motherboard
>manufacturers double up one of the lines to get 5 slots.  I suspect
>you could double up some of the lines on the DEC chip; don't know
>about the Apple.

There are boards out there with 7 PCI slots that run Pentium II's.  If I
remember right ASUS makes one, but don't quote me on that.  It's very
likely it isn't using an Intel 440 chipset at all though, probably some
other company (BTC)?  I find this board more practical now than I would say
2 years ago.. Because 2 years ago I still had a lot of ISA hardware.  The
only thing ISA now is my Sound Blaster AWE32.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D