Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 01:31:15 -0800
From:      Jeffrey Hsu <hsu>
To:        jkh
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   POS (was Re: sup: Ok, I'm gonna do it.)

  I am ambitious.  I want to see FreeBSD running at ice stations, ...
  And I want to see it in small and medium sized businesses doing
  Real Work(tm).

Point of sales systems are a big part of SCO Unix sales and one of
the most common business applications.  These POS packages are
usually custom-built vertical applications with the operating system
bundled in.  Does anyone want to put one together for FreeBSD?  I
figure the first thing we need is a barcode reader.  We could use
tk or tkperl for the front-end and use sql to pass data to some
database, running on some other machine.  Eventually, we'll want
to have that running on FreeBSD too.  (Sybase or Oracle employees
take note:  lobby your local VP.  Better yet, do the port, then
lobby your VP.)  I figure we already have the networking requirements
covered.  There are other architectures, usually involving terminals,
but we've got to start somewhere.

							Jeffrey