Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:15:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Motherboard doesn't like tape drive

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> 	the problem may be that the tape is straved for data, so it stops
> 	writing and has to seek before starting to write again.

Then I would think that dd'ing /dev/zero to the tape would keep
it streaming, but it won't.  :(

> 	could hte disks be holding the bus for too long?
> 	can you change the "buffer disconnect size" on the disks?

Don't know.  There is one hard drive, a Fujitsu M1606S (bought
from Rod Grimes, so it should be "FreeBSD Certified"), and the
only jumpers are for SCSI ID and spindle motor.  Is this
something that could be set through software?

There is also a Toshiba 3501 CD-ROM drive on the bus.  I should
note, that at one point I had the hard drive alone on the SC200
controller, and the Viper alone on the Adaptec 1542C, and the
result was the same: no streaming.  I've tried different cables
as well.

It has also crossed my mind that the tape drive may just be
broken, and it is coincidence that it happened right after (or
during) a motherboard swap.  Anybody know typical failure
symptoms for the Archive Viper?  I don't get read or write
errors, just no streaming.

-john