Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 16:46:34 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: How to add another disk (or slice/partitions/disklabels - confusion)

>I'm having a lousy time trying to add another disk. The beast in question is a
>Quantum P105S, as SCSI ID 1. I have fdisk'd it, but cannot put a disklabel on
>it. I'm using disklabel -r -e /dev/rsd1, it pulls up something reasonable, and
>after filling in all the details it complains about not being able to write it
>back to the device. Any clues?

You can't put a label on the whole disk device.  Labels can only be put
on FreeBSD slices.  The "whole" device for the first FreeBSD slice is
/dev/rsd1c, which has a different minor number than /dev/rsd1, although
it may cover the same area.

/dev/rsd1 didn't exist before 2.0.5.  The whole disk device was named
/dev/rsd1c.  The whole FreeBSD slice is still named /dev/rsd1c and
everything internal to it works the same as before.

All the examples in the disklabel man page are of the form

	disklabel ... sd1 ...
                     ^ no dev
	disklabel ... /dev/rsd1c ...

disklabel adds the `/dev/' and the `c' automatically if and only if the
original device name is absolute (i.e., doesn't contain a slash).  Don't
use an absolute device name unless you want to override the default.

Bruce