Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:17:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        leonardc9@usa.net (Leonard Chung)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are all 8 port 10baseT hubs the same?

> I'm starting to hook up a network with my FreeBSD system, and need to get a
> small 8 port hub.  I already have a few computers connected on a ThinNet
> network, so I'm looking at getting a hub with a BNC connector, and possibly
> an AUI port just in case.
>
> Is there any difference between the (many) brands of hubs, or should I just
> go for the cheapest one I can find?  I'm thinking that 8 port 10Mb hubs are
> hopefully standardized enough now that there isn't a major difference...

That depends on what you mean by "difference."  There are a variety of
8-port hubs, made by different manufacturers, from different chipsets.
Performance-wise, there are some differences, but not that many.  Some
of the "high-end" hubs include automatic jabber detection and lockout,
and even network management protocols like SNMP.  You'll find the
former on *some* low-end hubs, the latter only on expensive hubs
designed for large organizations.  If you own 1 or 2 hubs, and 1 goes
bad, its not too difficult to figure out which one it is.

The one major difference on the low end is tech support: does the
vendor have any?  Do you have to pay for it?  How long does it last?

I have an Accton (cheap) 5-port hub and a Dayna 12-port hub at home;
both work just fine.  I'll recommend the Dayna products because they
work well, the cost is pretty much in line with other brands, *they
offer lifetime tech support*, and because I work for them -- plug
plug!

Your mileage may vary, but I suspect these days 5- and 8-port hubs are
about as "commodity" an item as you can get, along the order of floppy
drives and keyboards.  You just plug them in and they work.

> Also, can anybody recommend a good mail order shop (or tell me which ones
> to stay away from ;) ?

DataComm Warehouse: www.warehouse.com.  I've ordered every network
device I've ever owned, up until I joined Dayna, from them.  One
satisified customer here.