Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:23:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Jirsa <jeff@unixconsults.com>
To:        Brian McCann <bjm1287@ritvax.rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: htpasswd / Apache

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Brian McCann wrote:

> Hi all.  I have a question for everyone using Apache out there.  I've
> spent a few days trying to write a set of PHP/Bash scripts that will
> edit the htpasswd file and htgroup files for Apache, and it's getting
> old fast.  I'm hitting quite a few road blocks, and getting blown away
> in awk and bash code.  Does anyone know of any ports or something that
> would allow me to add, delete, change PWs, and edit group membership via
> a web interface?

Not quite what you asked for, but perhaps you might consider using
mod_auth_mysql ... Use php's existing mysql calls (you MIGHT have to
recompile php to include mysql support) and modify it all in the php code.
It's safer than having a bunch of calls to shell scripts from within the
php, and it's relatively well documented.

The basic auth table is simply a username, password, and group. You'll be
able to auth based on the username, or the group, and you'll be able to
modify them completely on the fly.

- Jeff

--

Jeff Jirsa