Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:45:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange NFS-related messages (related to lockd/statd)

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> I recently brought up rpc.lockd and rpc.statd on all of our NFS clients
> (mixed RELENG_6, RELENG_7, and RELENG_8), and our NFS server (RELENG_8).
>
> All clients had nfs_client_enable="yes" in rc.conf prior to their last
> reboot, but lacked rpcbind_enable="yes", rpc_lockd_enable="yes", and
> rpc_statd_enable="yes" prior to the below.
>
> The 8.x clients started rpcbind, rpc.lockd, rpc.statd -- then said:
>
> NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat = 0, port = 0
> Can't start NLM - unable to contact NSM
>
> The 7.x clients started rpcbind, rpc.lockd, rpc.statd -- then said:
>
> Can't start NLM - unable to contact NSM

Oh, I forgot to mention..I can't help much, but these protocols/daemons
are SunRPC, so they will be using portmapper (now called rpcbind) to get
port #s assigned dynamically. I also believe (not sure, don't know much
about it) that the NSM will poll for other machines, so it needs to be
able to talk to all clients and server(s), including doing IP broadcast
that gets to them all. (These were designed in the 1980s for a LAN, which
was just a chunk of coax in those days:-)

Hope this helps, rick