Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:38:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Matt Grice <matt@atarian.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI bug submission

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:15:00 +0100, Matt Grice wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > First of all, let me apologise if I have sent this report to you in
 > error. I am using the latest version of PC-BSD 10 which I believe uses
 > a "vanilla kernel" (excuse the linuxism) from FreeBSD.
 >
 > Symptoms: Lid close does not initiate sleep, battery is not recognised
 > and does not charge.
 >

 > My hardware is an Acer Extensa 5630EZ. I hope the rest of the
 > information you might find interesting is in the output of dmesg after
 > a verbose boot, which is attached.
 >
 > The output of acpidump -dt can be found here:
 >
 > http://pastebin.com/vpPN86qR

What Lars said about 'hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3' .. assuming suspend &
resume work properly normally (via 'acpiconf -s3' or your sleep button)

But regarding your battery, from your dmesg it IS being recognised:

 battery0: <ACPI Control Method Battery> on acpi0
 acpi_acad0: <AC Adapter> on acpi0
  [..]
 battery0: battery initialization start
 acpi_acad0: acline initialization start
 battery0: critically low charge!
 acpi_acad0: On Line
  [..]
 battery0: battery initialization done, tried 1 times

.. but is reporting critically low state on startup.

Which is either a dead battery, or a broken charging circuit.  Usually
that has nothing to do with the OS; if you have it plugged in when not
running, it should fully charge, or at least charge past the critically
low state fairly quickly - and even when running on AC power.

So as Kevin asked, 'sysctl hw.acpi' and 'acpiconf -i0' could be helpful.

cheers, Ian