Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:24:55 -0400
From:      peter@vfemail.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What made my FreeBSD server freeze?

When I awoke this morning my FreeBSD box was frozen -- completely unresponsive at the console -- and displayed these messages on the console:

     ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -resetting
     ata0: resetting devices
     ad0: removed from configuration
     done
     Aug 30 03:09:25 abc sm-mta 88427 xyz SYSERR(root): collect: Cannot write: ./xyz (fsync uid=o, gid=25): Device not configured

The box has been in continuous operation for years, and I've never seen this behavior before.

I rebooted the machine this morning and, thank God, it came back to life.

Is this an early warning that the hard drive is failing and should be replaced this week?  Is there anything else I should explore or do at this time?

This message sent via VFEmail.net
http://www.vfemail.net
$14.95 Lifetime accounts - 1GB disk, No bandwidth quotas!