Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:51:20 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Michael Edenfield <kutulu@kutulu.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Re-work pkgdep/DEPORIGIN?

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 12:34, Michael Edenfield wrote:
> * Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de> [040607 13:09]:

> > > The real fix IMHO is to use a strategy similar to what Debian Linux
> > > uses: instead of depending on specific ports, depend on capabilities.
> > > So for example, www/horde2 would depend on webphp, and lang/php4 and
> > > www/mod_php4 would each provide webphp.  (I don't know the postgres port
> > > family as well, so I can't readily give an example using it.)
> >
> > I don't know the specific debian facilities, but isn't this overkill?
> > There are mostly two or three ports that come into consideration when satisfying
> > a dependancy (postgresql and postgresql-client, or lang/php4 and
> > www/mod_php4, or linux_base-{6,7,8}). Most of the times these are even
> > slave ports (I think), so providing elaborate capabilities management is
>
> One very huge example of this problem, however, I suspect will start
> cropping up a lot in the near future: both x11/XFree86-4-libraries and
> x11/xorg-libraries provide the X11 libraries, but bsd.port.mk encodes a
> dependancy on the XF86 version.  This means every time I install an X
> app I need to run pkgdb -F to fix the dependancies.
>
> --K

In this specific case, we're going to have a switch in bsd.port.mk to
select which of the X implementations you are using.  It still isn't
nearly as nice as the capabilities way of doing things, but we should
fix the need for pkgdbing soon.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org