Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 12:09:43 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Chuck Youse" <cyouse@cybersites.com>, "Justin Wolf" <jjwolf@bleeding.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Stability concerns in latest -STABLEs.

	What it seems to be is a rush to get patches into STABLE before a freeze
causing stable to be less stable than usual. I hate to suggest another layer
of abstraction, but perhaps STABLE should be 'frozen' for a bit near a
freeze so causal STABLE users get actually STABLE code.

	A new branch could be made for code to be integrated back into STABLE once
it has shaken out a bit in the context of the STABLE code. This problem gets
worse the further apart STABLE and CURRENT are. Testing code in CURRENT
doesn't tell you much if CURRENT is not at all like STABLE.

	This shows one of the disadvantages of FreeBSD's CVS-based development
system versus the more usual release based model. A release is only made
when code seems relatively solid. While cvsing the same tree at different
times can produce widely varying results.

	DS