Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:43:16 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
Cc:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: print/acroread9 Adobe Reader

Guido Falsi wrote:
> On 10/28/14 15:22, Russell L. Carter wrote:
> > Hi Julian,
> >
> > On 10/28/14 07:00, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> >> Hi hrs@FreeBSD.org & ports@freebsd.org
> >
> >> I went to install print/acroread9 for current & found it was not in
> >> ports/.
> >

> > [...]
> >
> >> I am Forced to use Adobe Reader by British government tax office.
> >> http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/txt/ct600.html
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Just curious, have you tried to use firefox to sign those forms?  I was
> > tied to acroread for more than ten years because of all of the pdfs I
> > deal with but recently discovered that firefox renders pdfs as well as
> > acroread.  Don't know about the signing part though.
> >

> Meybe wine can help?
>
> Also virtualbox + some other OS which is supported by adobe?
>
> I agree these are no optimal solutions but could solve the problem at hand.

Thanks Guido,
Yes, in future years, I may have to, If Adobe really drops/ has
dropped Unix, & If/when FreeBSD ABIs become incompatible with the
Linux binaries.

However that would be horrible work, installing an MS partition
just for Adobe reader.

While ABIS remain compatible, I will prefer to use acroread, even if I have
to migrate forward & maintain the last acroread port myself.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Indent previous with "> ".  Interleave reply paragraphs like a play script.