Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:11:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SOLVED: SCSI tape problems

As some of you may recall, I've been having a long-running battle with
scsi bus timeouts while backing up to tape, every since we upgraded to
2.1.7(?). Finally, after about a year, the problem seems to be solved.  It
actually involves two things.

1) Changed tapes from Sony to Exabyte.  The Exabyte tapes cost about 50%
more, but made about 80% of the problems go away.

2) Scanned the DISK DRIVES for bad blocks.  Kinda bizarre that bad blocks
on the disks caused tape drive error messages, but OK.  Once the bad
blocks were remapped, we went to zero problems.  Why the auto-remap didn't
work, I don't know.

Ahhhh, after a year of aggrevation, my servers are back to the wonderfully
stable machines I remember.

Cliff