Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 2003 21:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Billy Bragg <billybra2000@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB keyboard woes

For some reason e-mail to this address from my home server just seems to vanish into thin air, so I'm trying again with a Yahoo account]

I have a motherboard which has a broken PS/2 connector. I have a PS/2 KVM, and bought a PS/2 to USB adapter for the motherboard. I’d really like to run FreeBSD on this machine, but cannot get the USB-adapted keyboard to work. It works fine in my BIOS setup, and with Linux and Windows, but not with FreeBSD (using 4.8-stable).

I have a kernel with USB devices added, have /dev/kbd* entries, and have added “kbdcontrol –k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/console” to /etc/rc.i386, as well as an attach entry in usbd.conf. As far as I can see, the USB keyboard is attached; if I run “kbdcontrol –K < /dev/console” I see:

kbd0
    ukbd0, type:generic (0)

If I try to follow that with a “kbdcontrol –k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/console” I get:

kbdcontrol: cannot open /dev/kbd0: Device busy

The boot messages show:

uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xd400-0xd41f irq 12 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ukbd0: Composite USB PS2 Converter USB to PS2 Adaptor  v1.09, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2, iclass 3/1
kbd0 at ukbd0
ums0: Composite USB PS2 Converter USB to PS2 Adaptor  v1.09, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.

I’ve searched the mailing lists, but haven’t found a solution. Is there one, or should I resign myself to running Linux (which would really suck)?

Tx
Gram