Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 22:48:17 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

> Well, we've heard various opinions and I think we can conclude that:
>
> 2.  That server applications should have keepalives enabled.

	Well, I certainly don't agree with that. Many server applications (web
servers, mail servers, etcetera) already have data timeouts, which makes
keepalives redundant.

	In my opinion, in the vast majority of cases, data timeouts are more
logical than keepalives. 'telnetd' being the most obvious exception.

	DS