Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:47:49 +0100
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Michael <soppscum@online.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RELEASE kernel boot problem on acer travelmate 210TEV (laptop)

On Saturday 22 February 2003 03:24 am, Michael wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:46:09 +0100
> taxman <taxman@ACD.NET> wrote:
>=20
> > On Friday 21 February 2003 02:50 pm, Michael wrote:   (snipped)
> > > I've been using 4.X for some time with no problems(that I can remem=
ber=20
=3D)
> > >=20
> > > So i'm booting the install 5-RELEASE mini cd :
> >=20
> > Ok this is getting out of hand.  5.0 is a testing release.  See:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/early-adopter.html
> > so of course it is not going to work for everything.  Development is=20
> > proceeding rapidly on 5.0, so the problem you're seeing may be fixed=20
already.=20
> > Installing -current would be the only way to know.  if you tried that=
 and=20
got=20
> > the same error, then they would love to hear about it on the -current=
=20
mailing=20
> > list so that it can be properly fixed.  It's not likely it will ever =
be=20
fixed=20
> > for 5.0 release, which is a static point on an again, rapidly moving,=
=20
> > development track.
> > =09If 4.x works well then use that, or if you want to experiment try=20
-current,=20
> > perhaps by installing a snapshot.
>=20
> Thanks, didn't realise 5-RELEASE was still current,=20

It is and I didn't mean to be so harsh to you specifically.  It was more =
that=20
so many people are missing that bit of info that maybe it should be a FAQ=
=20
now.

> anyway how should I report something like this to current@ ?
> I mean is there some sort of "backtrace" I can do after it panics that =
would=20
be more useful than just this oneline message? :P

boot -v (at the initial prompt) may be helpful, but I don't know on 5.0

What I was getting at was maybe this has already been fixed in the -curre=
nt=20
development track, so it would be really irritating to them if you asked=20
about a fixed issue.
=09So first try installing a snapshot:
http://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/
As explained there, they are built every day from -current sources.
If the normal installation CD ISO there boots fine, consider your problem=
=20
fixed in -current.  You could try the bootonly or cdboot cd ISO's first, =
but=20
they may be a bit different than the normal boot process.

=09If your problem is not fixed in the latest -current snapshot, then sen=
d a=20
question with the ouptut of boot -v to the freebsd-current mailing list,=20
perhaps along with a copy of dmesg from 4.x running on the machine in=20
question.  Good luck,

=09Tim