Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:29:11 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting SSL Apache at Boot

On Saturday 11 August 2001 08:28 am, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I used to start apache at boot time via the script
> in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh.  I'd like to still
> do this, but I also recently installed SSL and so I need
> to use "apachetcl startssl" instead of "apachetcl start".
> (You know where this is headed now, right? :-)
>
> So this requires me to supply my SSL Certificate PEM
> pass phrase.  Apparently interactively.
>
> Now I could certainly have it read stdin during the
> "apachetcl start" and feed it a file with my pass phrase
> in it, in clear text.  Or I could write a small program
> that obscure it a bit and piped it to "apachetcl startssl".
>
> Or I could do it the Right Way.
>
> I just wish I knew what the Right Way is...
>
> jdl

You need to create a certificate without a pass phrase. The docs cover what
you are trying to do.

Beech
     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510