Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:40:40 +0300
From:      Alexander Portnoy <my-subs@mail.ru>
To:        Nickolay Krylov <freebsd@anapanet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making 4.8-RELEASE-p7

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:17:12 +0400
Nickolay Krylov <freebsd@anapanet.ru> wrote:

> Hello, freebsd-security.
>
> I'm trying to build 4.8-RELEASE-p7 to distribute it trought my
> clients. What am I doing:
>
> #cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup
> #cvsup standard-supfile       (after I've done necessary changes)
> #cd /usr/src
> #make buildworld
>
> Thus, I have /usr/obj "populated with the output of ``make
> buildworld''" as it described in man 7 release.
>
> Then, I have read "FreeBSD Release Engineering" by Murray Stokely, but
> can't understand for what
>
> #make release
>
> use env variable CVSROOT???!!!!
>
> All what I want to do - make 4.8p7 release (FTP version) from sources what I've cvsuped
> from RELENG_4_8 i.e. ONLY 4.8-RELEASE with security updates.
>

> Help me please, my english not perfect, may be therefore I don't
> understand anything.
>
> Thanks in advance, NK.
>
> --
> Best reqards,
>  Nickolay                          mailto:freebsd@anapanet.ru

You must to have a local copy of the FreeBSD CVS repository.
During the 'make release' cvs is called several times to fetch
an appropriate versions of the system sources, documentation sources
and the ports tree to the ${CHROOTDIR}/usr/src, ${CHROOTDIR}/usr/doc
and ${CHROOTDIR}/usr/ports accordingly from the repository.
I am sure You don't want to fetch the whole repository for
the FreeBSD-4.8-RELEASE-p7 only ;-)

The solution is to comment out all lines in the /usr/src/release/Makefile
that contains the calls to 'cvs' and populate the directories manually.
(mount_null -o ro /usr/[src|doc|ports] ${CHROOTDIR}/usr/[src|doc|ports]
is the simplest way to do that). Be careful not to erase your ports and
source trees because the Makefile contains the commands that removes
the contents of the ${CHROOTDIR} directory before any other actions.

P.S. Why 'freebsd-security' and not 'questions' or 'stable' ?