Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:45:34 +0000
From:      njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loading code from userland

On Oct 28,  7:28am, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> this seems like a bad idea, you would have arbitrary user code being
> executed at a privledged level, it's better to make seperate lkms for each
> method.

Arbitrary?  root decides which lkm's to load.

> you might be able to set something up alongs the lines that the kernel
> calls a procedure in your program to do something, however no rights
> should be given to the user code that could compromise the system.

This is communication between the kernel and a userland process, which is
not what I wanted to do, I want to load code into the kernel.  The reason
for this is not that the code requires supervisor permissions but that the
overhead of the context switches and buffer copying would make the whole
thing far too slow to be practical.

In any case, the kernel<->userland communication primitives probably
require that the userland process runs as root anyway.  Though if thats
the case it could be changed.

Niall