Date:      Mon, 22 May 1995 19:05:27 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Tanel Kuusk <tanel@juku.li.ttu.ee>
Cc:        Alex Tang <altitude@umich.edu>, Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: iScreen seg faults

On Sun, 21 May 1995, Tanel Kuusk wrote:

> I guess there's something wrong with the UTMP file processing then. If
> screen is setuid root, it tries to remove its parent shell from utmp
> and write all its windows there. If screen is not setuid root, it
> probably can't write utmp and all utmp processing is skipped during
> execution.

    Sounds like a reasonable explanation.  Screen works without the
setuid bit, and with /tmp/screens mode 1777.  I noticed that my login
sessions in screen don't show up in a who or a finger.  I seem to
recall an option (either compile- or run-time) that controls this
login behaviour, but I need to look at the source again... it's been a
while since I've used screen.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org