Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:31:28 +0200
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
To:        "MET" <met@uberstats.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: About to install FreeBSD as a Desktop...

On Saturday 21 September 2002 00:13, MET wrote:

> Other than that I just need some
> productivity apps, but nothing particularly special.  Soooo, what's the
> REAL difference between 4.5 and 4.6.2?

Well, bugfixes for one thing, but also some added functionality (FBSD keeps
improving ;)). Best thing is to run -STABLE (read the FreeBSD Handbook on how
to do this), and keep your ports-tree current.

So, just install 4.6.2, update to -STABLE, update your portstree, and then
install KDE, X and all the other needed stuff. Voila, you've got neat
Desktop-computer. ;)

> And finally, I've really only used FreeBSD as a work environment so I've
> never had the chance to answer this question myself.....can I view
> DVD's?  And if so what program should I use?

Yes, I prefer mplayer. But there is VLC, Xine and Ogle as well (all in ports).

Bjarne
--
Homepage: http://www.mekanix.dk