Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2010 03:44:33 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-rc@freebsd.org>, "ggg_mail@inbox.ru" <ggg_mail@inbox.ru>
Subject:   Re: conf/153460: devd(8) cannot be restarted correctly via /etc/rc.d script

Yeah, and while I do agree there are some issues with the change.

For starters, devd.conf does also have a pid-file directive so the
.conf file and the rc script can get out of sync:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=devd.conf&sektion=5&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.1-RELEASE
.

There was also an issue with devd that needs to be resolved so that
file descriptors are closed properly. That is most likely the root
cause of the issue that the OP is seeing:
. Warner MFCed the change a while back IIRC, but it's still worth
checking.

So this might address one other part of the bug (the rc-script part),
but unfortunately the pidfile variable needs to be massaged according
to the devd.conf file; thankfully that's static as there isn't a
devd_flags or devd_args variable :).

Thanks for the followup!
-Garrett