Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:15:36 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some h/w recommendations please...

> All Triniton (ie, Sony) monitors used to have two horizontal row of
> reduced-brightness pixels dividing the screen into thirds.

There are other makes of screen that work the same way.  Sony's patent
expired several years ago.  Mitsubishi "Diamondtron" screens, used in
many brands of monitor, use the same technology.

> I've never
> understood why so many people were willing to accept such a design flaw
> in monitors for which they usually pay a premium price.

Probably because they never notice it.  I never do except when
reminded of it.  Presumably people's sensitivity to it varies.

Incidentally, they don't affect a whole pixel by any means - the line
is *much* thinner than a pixel.

> In any event, look at your monitor carefully before buying it, with
> a variety of screen content.

Of course, what you really want to do is use it for a few days first,
because things you notice at first aren't necessarily the ones that
are annoying in the long term, but that's usually impractical.

-- Richard