Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:16:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        trustedbsd-discuss@TrustedBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Poll for users: mac_partition and mac_ifoff policies

Dear all,

I'm currently in the process of reviewing the use of the MAC Framework in
FreeBSD, following meetings at the developer summit about proposed
simplifications and enhancements.  One of the on-going concerns I have had is
that several of the policies we ship are reference implementation policies,
rather than reference user policies:

mac_ifoff	- Interface silencing
mac_partition	- Process space partitions
mac_stub	- Stub MAC policy entry points
mac_test	- Invariants testing

While mac_stub and mac_test are both extremely useful for devleopers as
shipped, it's not clear to me that mac_ifoff and mac_partition offer
significantly similar value, and as they are reference policies rather than
production policies, my leaning is to provide them as downloads on the
TrustedBSD web site and via p4, but to not ship them with FreeBSD 7.0.  So
this e-mail is to poll to see if anyone is currently using the mac_ifoff and
mac_partition policies in production, and would object on those grounds to
shipping them separately from the base OS.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge