Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:43:07 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Ali Niknam" <ali@iephosting.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache processes grind system to a halt

On 25 Mar 2001, at 0:08, Ali Niknam wrote:

> I personally think a rewrite may have caused it - it's really unsafe to
> allow ppl rewriting rules.... When my own server was up & running (but not
> used yet) I tried some voodoo-magic-rewriting too :) What I found out (what
> probably is well known) is that you can make an endless rewrite loop... (so
> that one directory sends the thing to another and the other sends it back)

For what it's worth, after a week without rewrite rules, there have been
zero runaway apache processes.  I think it's safe to conclude
something was going amiss in the rewrites.  One day, sometime, I'll
look at putting the rewrites back in.

Note: not all rewrites were removed.  Just those associated with spam
engines.   All that rewrite did was give them a simple page without links.
 But there must be something else in there...

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php