Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:03:34 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Warner <ufodziner@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: adaptec 2940uw with smp kernel on a bp6

[Following up to -questions]

On Saturday,  9 September 2000 at  9:55:19 -0700, Wes Warner wrote:
> "William S. Duncanson" wrote:
>> At 00:46 9/9/2000, Wes Warner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I have a abit bp6 and an adaptec 2940 uw scsi card.  If I
>>> compile a SMP kernel with cupport for my scsi card I get this
>>> error...
>>>
>>> Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
>>> Timeout SCB handled by another timeout
>>> (probe1:ahc0:0:1:0)SCB 0xd timedout
>>> ahc0 Issued channel A bus reset 14 SCBs Aborted
>>>
>>> I can run SMP fine without the card or run with the card and no
>>> SMP, but I can't do them both together.  Is there a fix for this?
>>
>> Hm, I have a Tyan Tiger 100 with dual processors running in SMP
>> mode with a 2940UW.  I would suggest making sure that the BIOS for
>> the motherboard and the card are up to date.  Does any other MP
>> capable OS work?  What are the outputs of dmesg and mptable?
>
> I updated both the scsi card bios and my mobo bios to see if that
> helped already.  I didn't get any improvement.  I currently am
> running slackware and it runs fine both smp and the scsi card.  It
> works with either 2.2.x or 2.4.test.x.  When I have scsi support
> enabled in the kernel the machine only gives me the error message,
> it will not totally boot.  I don't ever get a terminal, it just
> hangs.

Well, the simple answer is that this is not a general bug.  Plenty of
people, myself included, are running this combination of motherboard
and host adapter.  What is the rest of your hardware?  dmesg output
would be a good idea.  It's also a good idea to try a GENERIC kernel
modified for SMP, rather than a kernel with other modifications, just
in case that's the problem.

Greg
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.
For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/email.html