Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 20:16:03 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in -current

>   We haven't made any decisions yet on which stack to go with. The KAME
>implementation is compelling because of the dedication (to FreeBSD) of the
>people working on it. INRIA is interesting because of rumors that it is
>somehow "better" than KAME. The point Garrett is trying to make is that
>once we decide on one, that leaves the other(s) out in the cold, which is
>not a good thing.

	NOTE: this is independent from the merging issues.

	Could I hear about the technical reasons for the above "rumor"?
	Could someone send me the details of what you felt?
	I would like to fix that ASAP, if it really is a technical issues.
	We are trying to catch up to latest IPv6 specs (I believe KAME is
	most aggressive in this point), making coments to where specs seems
	to be wrong, and so forth.  We really are putting our 7x24 hours:-)
	to KAME.

	If it is packaging issues, I would like to state the following for
	KAME 2.2.7 kit:
	- we intentionally NOT overwriting existing tools,
	  like /usr/bin/ftp.  This surprises people too much, especially
	  in multiuser installations.
	- we are trying NOT to require "make World" for installation.
	  therefore, we do not use /usr/src tree for this.
	It can be changed for KAME 3.0, of course.

	If it is irrelevant for current@freebsd, plese reply me personally.

itojun@kame.net
itojun@itojun.org
jun-ichiro itoh