Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:20:54 -0800
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port installs: /usr/X11R6/bin versus /usr/local/bin ?

On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 16:01, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Rob <nospam@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > Why is there no stricter policy on port installs to put files only in
> > /usr/local ?
>
> Difference of opinion.
>
> Some people would strongly prefer only X11 proper to go under
> /usr/X11R6 and everything else under /usr/local.  Some other people
> equally strongly prefer X11 programs in general (loosely defined)
> to go under /usr/X11R6.
>
> Some people of the latter faction are high enough in the food chain
> that you can't just override them.

I think we're seeing the end of something we can call a standard X11
distribution that should go under /usr/X11R6, so the first preference
should be dead.  I understand the 2nd preference, though I'd personally
prefer to see /usr/X11R6 disappear and there to be one standard place
for ports-installed software (/usr/pkg?) and another for user-installed
software (/usr/local).  Despite disliking the everything-in-/usr layout
of Linux, having local software install in /usr/local without angering
the packaging system has been just wonderful.

And while I'm at it, I should probably ask for world peace, too ;)

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org