Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:30:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Robert English <drakcap@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Runaway Galeon - further further info

This is to follow up my previous post, in case someone else
finds they've got a Galeon browser that continues to spawn new
windows infinitely.

Discussion of this problem on other newsgroups, regarding Linux
and Debian specifically, produced one solution (as of January 13
of this year): delete the file "compreg.dat", found on FreeBSD
systems at the following path:

/usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/components/compreg.dat

This file is read-only for a mortal user, which is why I was
able to use Galeon and/or Mozilla normally while logged in as
such.  But when logged in as root I have write permission, and
that apparently messes this file up.  The file, after a fresh
compile, is about 175K - and that is apparently OK - but after
the first use of Mozilla as "root" that file is now 143K.  That
is when I get the symptoms - Mozilla tries to open but doesn't,
and eats memory behind the scenes until the end of swap is
reached, while Galeon will spawn new windows forever until
killed.  Deleting this now-altered file stops that behavior.  No
recompile is necessary, which is what you'd have to do
otherwise.

With this file absent, Galeon and Mozilla take a little longer
to load but do not present any problems or show any error
messages - either with root or mortal user opening them.  I just
have to remember to delete the "compreg.dat" after Mozilla
writes a new one.

This presents the next question, and maybe someone knows this:
what needs to be present in this "compreg.dat" for Mozilla to
present properly, and what is in the Mozilla code that rewrites
it so badly?  If someone has already posted an answer to this,
please direct me to it as my search through Google has not
produced that yet.