Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:02:18 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        zpit@samara.net, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Comtrol RocketPort under 2.2

Comtrol's driver is a beta, and it was written by amir@comtrol.com. It's
not officially supported. We wanted to use a RocketPort -- in fact, several
-- but did not and will not because Comtrol will make no guarantees that
the driver will ever be supported. We want to move all of our machines to
2.2.2 or 2.2.3 (2.2.1-R has some bugs, but it looks as if they're getting
fixed in the snaps), so that rules out Comtrol for us unless the drivers
are updated.

I'd recommend sending e-mail to amir@comtrol.com and info@comtrol.com.
Please let everyone know what they say.

I've urged Comtrol to have the driver integrated into the FreeBSD source
tree, but when I checked they seemed utterly uninterested.

--Brett Glass

P.S. -- If Comtrol is willing to let the drivers be integrated into
FreeBSD, and I can learn enough to update the drivers, I'd be glad
volunteer; their hardware actually seems pretty solid. Right now, I'm
*still* trying to learn enough about FreeBSD driver development to write
even the simplest driver. There are virtually no docs on the semantics of
some of the routines called within the kernel, and the kernel data
structures are so poorly documented that I can only guess at their meaning.