Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2015 16:26:51 +0000 (UTC)
From:      John Case <case@SDF.ORG>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   so ... what *are* we doing about byzantine ZFS send/recv streams ?

I was reading a thread on HN about ZFS[1] when someone from rsync.net
commented that they support ZFS send/recv to their cloud platform.[2]

Someone else responded in that thread asking how they dealt with
"byzantine streams", by which they meant a ZFS stream that has been
corrupted on purpose so as to panic the receiver (or worse).

The rsync.net guy said they gave everyone their own zpool inside their own
bhyve so there isn't a big concern there - at worst "it might be a DOS
attack".

So my questions:

1. What, if anything, does FreeBSD 10.x do about "byzantine streams" and
is there any mitigation of this ?

2. If I allow someone to ZFS send a arbitrary snapshot to me, does locking
them in a VM like the guy suggests a good solution ?  Or is there still a
security/corruption threat there ?

Thank you.

[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10568705
[2] http://www.rsync.net/products/zfsintro.html