Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2018 21:48:27 -0800
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>, Tomas Weinfurt <Tomas.Weinfurt@microsoft.com>
Subject:   Re: Mono 5.2 patch and DotNet Core 2 update

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 10:45 AM, David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 08:55:45 Russell Haley wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I've successfully built mono based on a modified version of your patch
>> from here: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13752
>>
>> I'm getting size and checksum errors for the file
>> dotnet-roslyn-322bd5b_GH0.tar.gz. This shouldn't be an issue: I
>> changed the size of the file in distinfo from 22058493 to the actual
>> size I received of 22058637 in order to make it build. My expectation
>> is that I should then run make checksum to fix the distinfo file
>> correctly. I run sudo make checksum and the target goes into an
>> infinite loop downloading the file, deciding it doesn't match the
>> checksum and then downloading it again. WTH?
>>
>> I am unsure how to proceed. The porters handbook is quite explicit
>> that this is the way forward:
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/porting-checksum.html
>>
>> I have attached what I think is the svn diff that include both your
>> patch and my update. The distinfo file should still be incorrect. I
>> haven't tested it. I have to get to work . :P
>>
>> I have cc'd the ports list as well in this conversation. Any input
>> from all parties would be grand.
>
> Thank you for the review - I see you commented on the review.  I'll try and
> finish the port over the weekend.
>
> FYI, I have uploaded another two reviews.  These combined get the CentOS
> version of .NET Core running on FreeBSD :-).
>
> Regards

I'm running the mono tests now.

This is awesome: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13870

Adding dotnet core support via Linux emulation means we can natively
build dotnet core 2 via the instructions the instructions here:

https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/wiki/Building-.NET-Core--2.x-on-FreeBSD

Currently we need an external platform to build the managed system.
This is pretty cool, David. I assume MSBuild and Roslyn are in
progress?

Russ