Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:18:17 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        George Cox <gjvc@sophos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How about building modules along with the kernel?

[cc'ing to hackers, to get this archived]

George Cox wrote:

> On 26/04 19:29, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>
> > BTW, loader reads FAT just fine too, thank you.
>
> I have a related question :-)
>
> Is there any way I can put a FreeBSD kernel on a DOS partition, and load
> it, specifying the root device (different from the DOS partition device)
> that I want it to use?

Sure. There are many variations that you can try. For example, you can
put something like

kernel="disk1s1:/kernel"

in /boot/loader.conf, which will cause the loader to get the kernel from
said disk/slice. Now, assume FreeBSD is on disk2 or disk1s2, for
example, and you tell booteasy (boot0) to boot from said disk. The root
device will be the one you asked booteasy to boot FreeBSD from (and
where loader will be loaded from), while the kernel will be coming from
the other disk.

Alternatively, there is the variable rootdev you can use to specify an
alternate root device. See loader(8) for more information, as well as
"help" from the loader prompt. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	GPL certainly doesn't meet Janis Joplin's definition of freedom:
"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose."