Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:37:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, n_hibma@FreeBSD.ORG, joe@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB->ATA devices

It seems Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> > If you're interested, I wrote a functional but incomplete driver
> > for a similar device, the Prolific Technology PL2307 bridge. I just
>
> This is good stuff.
>
> The Onspec expects a command packet containing the ATA register contents
> in the order they appear in i/o space. Plus an additional byte whose
> meaning I have yet to decipher.
>
> > implemented the conversion for a minimal set of ATA commands in the
> > driver itself; it would obviously be better to have the ATA layer
> > in a separate driver though. The code for that driver is at:
>
> How about doing ata(4) over usb?
>
> Support was added for PCMCIA to ata in the form of ata-card.c. This
> required macro-izing the bus_space_write*() calls amongst other things.

Ahem, all the bus_* stuff was done to support other platforms (alpha/sparc)
not for the PCMCIA stuff which is very much straight forward...

> Normally this takes place over an underlying isa/pci bus abstraction,
> maybe we could re-use this abstraction in ata-usb.c to avoid changing
> anything here? That way we avoid duplicating the ATA bit-banging code.

It should be possible to hide the USB stuff under the ATA_* macroes
or even just under bus_space_*.
I need a bit more concrete details on how to call into the USB
code, then it should be pretty easy to add...

> Remember atapicam? I like the fact that it allows one to run cdrecord
> with an ATAPI CDRW drive; perhaps it could be re-used and extended to
> allow CAM to be used to interact with these pure ATA devices? Of course
> in this case, if we make the devices on the USB->ATA bridge look like
> ata-disk devices and what have you, who needs CAM?

atapicam only does ATAPI, not ATA...

-Søren