Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:51:36 -0800
From:      "joshua lokken" <joshlokken@hotmail.com>
To:        kdk@daleco.biz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2 upgrade and Exim delivery

>From: "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
>To: joshua lokken <joshlokken@hotmail.com>
>CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: 5.2 upgrade and Exim delivery
>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:46:15 -0600
>
>joshua lokken wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I am working on becoming familiar with FreeBSD 5.x after using 4.x for the
>>past few years.
>>The machine in question is a web and mail server; I originally installed
>>5.1 from the mini iso,
>>then upgraded to RELENG_5_2 last weekend.  The upgrade went without
>>problems, as it
>>always has...and i did not change anything in Exim's configuration, but
>>now
>>
>>Exim no longer starts on system startup.  In /etc/rc.conf, I have:
>>
>>sendmail_enable="NONE"
>>exim_enable="YES"
>>
>>And the lines in /etc/mail/mailer.conf are changed from sendmail to exim
>>binary paths.
>>
><snipped>
>

>>ls /var/spool/clientmqueue shows messages in form:  qfi2FB8SYT048073
>>ls /var/spool/exim/msglog shows messages in form:    1B11Vc-0000cm-S4
>>
>>So, I'm wondering,
>>
>>a) what went wrong during the upgrade?
>

>Can't say for sure.  It's looks a lot like sendmail
>is handling your incoming SMTP, though; that's
>sendmail's message ID type you've listed there.
>
>It might be wise to instruct FBSD not build sendmail
>at all; IIRC (but do some checking) that would be
>NO_SENDMAIL="true" (I mean, really do some checking...)
>in /etc/make.conf

Yeah, I did rebuild the world with NO_SENDMAIL="YES", and thought
that it was odd that sendmail 'took over' my mailhandling...

>>b) how do I get my messages into the appropriate spool / delivered?
>>

>Have you tried starting Exim?  I guess that
>is where the error messages are coming from...
>
>What does the Exim FAQ say?

I did start Exim, and it's sending mail like nobody's business, just not
receiving /
delivering properly.  Thanks, Kevin, I'm on my way to the FAQ now...

>>Thanks, and until I get this sorted out, please cc me, as my list address
>>mail is.....
>>

>>Joshua Lokken

Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
$29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/