Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:05:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "T. Norman" <dnorm@thegrid.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd

T. Norman wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Ok, I am looking for an opperating system that has many securety
> options,

Yes, and, not only does FreeBSD have options, but great care has been
taken to ensure that those options present a defaulted secure system
without compromising useability.  It is, of course, possible to further
secure a FreeBSD system by removing unnecessary services, or replacing
insecure services (such as telnet) with secure services (ssh).  It is also
possible to throw security to the wind and open yourself up to all sorts
of attacks.  On an installed system, security(7) is a good read.  Keep up
with CERT and other major security advisories.  Follow my golden rule of
security:  Do not run as root what you would not want someone else to run
as you.

> many server options and can be used for most other functions
> of a pc

I don't exactly understand this requirement... Define 'most other
functions' :-)  The canonical answer to your question would be the
extensive ports collection.  ( http://www.freebsd/ports ), containing
ported applications from various vendors, all tailored to install
seamlessly on a FreeBSD system.  I believe the ports collection has
surpassed 3000 programs... There must be something there for you :-)

> I would like it to be small, but full of options.

I haven't tried it in a while, but the minimal install without X might
occupy about 200MB.  Installing everything with sources will require about
a gig.

If you want REALLY small, have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/

... it fits on a floppy :-)

> I would like it to run on both slow and fast systems and be able to
> work as a server.

FreeBSD runs as slowly or as quickly as you want it to :-)  It can be (and
has been) installed on a 386.  I run it on Pentiums and PIIs.  Some run it
on SMP PIII systems.

> Is this os the one im looking for?

You won't know until you try it...  I know I like it.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2