Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:54:03 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do basic OS principles continue to improve?

| Most cutting edge CS work occurs in academia, in very
| small groups, with no more than 4 people participating,
| and usually, a single idealist leading the group.

That's what I've heard as well.  I love the fact that IPv6 is developed
on open source operating systems, and yet will hardly be accepted in the
networking world until Windows supports it.

| Other things which appear to be "breakthroughs" are just
| concessions to hardware tradeoffs that are true today
| that weren't true when the original implementations were
| first deployed (e.g. relative cost of disk seeks vs.
| speed on tracks, relative costs of main memory access vs.
| cache access, etc.).  Revisiting these tradeoffs is normal
| and doesn't really count as "breakthrough" in my book.

As I was writing my first email, I was wondering if this might describe
some of the scenarios.  I was especially thinking of the VM and FFS
changes recently.  It seems to me the new self-tuning ability of BSD's
operating parameters would make it quite adaptable to different hardware
environments.  Wow.  I really love this OS.  :-)

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.