Date:      Sun, 03 Sep 1995 20:25:39 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with initial FreeBSD (2.0.5 CD) installation attempts

Garrett A. Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

> > 		BIOS basemem (637K) != RTC basemem (640K)
>
> This means that your BIOS reserves some of the high memory for its own
> use.  FreeBSD tells you this because on some machines, one of the two
> values really is significantly wrong.  It probably doesn't matter a
> whole lot.
Hmmm...I could swear that there have been times when I don't get that message.
Shouldn't I get it all the time? Oh well...like you say, I imagine it doesn't
matter a whole lot.

> The Makefile that generates the install floppy is also capable of
> generating a fixit floppy.  This really ought to be distributed if it
> isn't already.  (Check the `floppies' directory of wherever you got
> your FreeBSD install floppy from.)

Geez...forgot about that floppies directory...boot.flp & root.flp are right
there.

> >    I was wondering if I could (or should) do something
> >    similar for putting a symlink like this:
>
> >       /kernel -> /c/freebsd/kernels/mykernel.001
>
> No.  The boot loader cannot handle symbolic links or multiple
> directories.  However, you can easily change the name that the kernel
> thinks it was loaded under; read sysctl(8) for the full syntax.

I was thinking more about after the boot process - if I were to consistently
use 'fbsdboot -D' to boot off of a DOS file, then the boot loader shouldn't
care what I've got in /kernel.  I'll take a look at sysctl(8) - thanx.

Thanks,
Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org