Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:33:26 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg cannot install both php5-pgsql and postgresql 9.3 server by default?

--Q3BPm9dMBo388Vvoh928MuCOp8J8REBQO

On 09/23/14 08:53, Nagy L=C3=A1szl=C3=B3 Zsolt wrote:
> I need postgresql server 9.3 because I need to use materialized views. =
> also need to access that server from PHP. But pkg won't install them
> both at the same time. See below.
>=20
> How to overcome this problem? Should I compile php5-pgsql from the port=
> tree? But then I'll be mixing binary packages with ports, isn't that a
> problem?
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
>     Laszlo
>=20
>=20
>=20
> root@gw:~ # php install php5-pgsql
> Could not open input file: install
> root@gw:~ # pkg install php5-pgsql
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
> All repositories are up-to-date.
> Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
> Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
> The following 4 packages will be affected (of 0 checked):
>=20
> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>         postgresql93-client-9.3.5
>         postgresql93-server-9.3.5
>=20
> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>         php5-pgsql: 5.4.32
>         postgresql92-client: 9.2.9
>=20
> The operation will free 16 MB.
>=20
> Proceed with this action? [y/N]: n
> root@gw:~ #

Yes, currently if you want to use non-standard version of postgresql or
other programs, then you need to compile them yourself -- and also the
other ports that depend on postgresql.  Yes, you can do this: the old
folk wisdom about "don't mix packages and ports" is outmoded now we are
living in the bright new dawn of pkg(8).

Just be aware of the time lag between ports being updated in the tree
and compiled packages hitting the repositories (about 4 to 10 days
depending).  Building your own packages with poudriere and creating your
own local repo is highly recommended for this -- you can easily just
build the packages you want to customize (non-standard options,
different versions etc.) locally, but rely on the generic packages for
anything else.

	Cheers,

	Matthew